My mom, dad, and my youngest sister are all gluten-, casein-, egg-, soy-, and cane sugar-free to name a few. That posed a slight issue for my mom’s upcoming birthday. That is until I came across this recipe for a “Really Wacky Cake”. With a few changes it fit the bill perfectly. My appologies for the picture…it probably doesn’t look all that appetizing, but you at least get the picture. Here’s the recipe with my changes:
Dark Chocolate Wacky Cake
Serves 8-10 depending on how “cake starved” your target audience is
1 cup Sorghum Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1 1/2 cup White Rice Flour
2 teaspoons guar gum
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups Beet Sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil
2 cups Coconut Milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift together the dry ingredients. Place these ingredients in the bowl of your mixer.
3. Combine the wet ingredients separately. Pour into the mixing bowl and use your mixer to combine the two thoroughly (there should be no lumps).
4. Pour the batter into an ungreased 13×9″ pan (I prefer stoneware).
5. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
I found some Coconut Frosting from Jungle Products at our local co-op. I didn’t care for the taste of it so I didn’t frost the whole cake, but took the frosting separately. It was a hit with the rest of the family.