But mostly this:
I added in another Dear Stella fabric to finish out the piecing, opting for larger pieces on the inside of the quilt rather than putting borders on it – mostly because borders always give me trouble. The top ended up finishing out at 64 1/2″ square (just shy of my target 65″ square).
Now all I have to do is piece the back, cut the batting to size, and get it basted. I’m pondering whether or not I’ll do the quilting on this one. When they’re larger than a wall hanging or table runner I usually send them out to my quilter (also known as my mom). I did the same with Shattered, which is quite a bit smaller than this one. My only excuse being that I was thinking of straight line quilting which I think will work well with the top and that’s something I like to think I can handle.
I feel like I should mention a disclaimer here because if you read here long enough you’re probably thinking that Shattered been out for a long time, but we’re on a “I’m not in a hurry” understanding. She’s just waiting on my say so and I’m thinking I like the process a great deal more than the finishing. Not so coincidentally, it helps me avoid putting the binding on which is precisely what I will continue to do once it comes back. I hate doing the binding.
Well, mostly I hate hand stitching. It makes my hands cramp up all funny. On the other hand, I don’t like the way binding looks when folks machine stitch it on.
There you go.
Also Finished This Week:
- Sunbonnet Sue wall hanging
- Quilt guild name tag
Quick Finishes (or the “finish it already!!” group):
- Shattered – needs quilting and binding
- fleece quilt (pictured here) – need to finish sewing nine patch blocks, need to finish sewing together rows and then needs some sort of binding to help keep it square-ish – but mostly waiting on inspiration.
- The beach blanket from “Handmade Home” by Amanda Blake Soule
- Seeing Squares (small) from Empty Bobbin
- Batik Squares quilt (my own design)
The Great Big Wish/To Do List:
From “Sewing in No Time” by Emma Hardy:
- fireplace screen
- drawstring toy bags
- fabric covered storage box
- floor pillows
- floral pillow with ties
From “Quilt Revival” by Nancy Mahoney:
- 30′s Shadow Star
From “Oliver+S Little Things to Sew by Liesl Gibson:
- tutu (x2)
- reversible bucket hat (x3)
- Lazy Days Skirts (x2) – with my girls you can never have enough skirts
- Popover Sundress (x2) plus doll dress (x2)
- A Day in the Park Backpack Tote (?)
- Have it All Wallet
- Tea Party Dress (x2)?
- Blouse + Pleated Skirt (x2)?
From “Little Stitches” by Aneela Hoey:
- Empire State Building Needle Case
- Rain, Rain Go Away Hanging Hoop
From “Liberty Book of Home Sewing” by Liberty of London:
- Sugar Bag Doorstop
- Toiletry Bag
- Bean Bag
- Keepsake Board
I’m linking up with Lee @ Freshly Pieced!